20 REGIONS OF ITALY
Italy is divided into 20 separate regions, regions are similar to states of the United States, and each has it own unique history, culture, and way of doing things. There are also two independent states within Italy: Vatican City and the Republic of San Marino. Most visitors to Italy want to visit the big three: Roma, Florence, and Venice, but there are unlimited adventures awaiting outside these major cities that will give you a true taste of Italian life.
Geography has played an important role in the development of the Italian peninsula for centuries, with the mountains of the Alps, Dolomites, and Appennini, and major rivers influnencing the flow and settlements of people. It has only been in the past 60 years that Italy has become a modern state. The Risorgimento was over 150 years ago when the modern Italian state was formed, but the country is still in the process of forming and becoming a united country. There have been two major empires constructed on the Italian peninsula, the Roman Empire and the Republic of Venezia. Around these two major empires has been the groups carving out small kingdoms and city states to attache themselves to the glory and prestige of the Roma's or to later trade with the Venezian Republic. This has resulted in distinct region cultures and ways of life, this very variety is what makes Italy so unique and place that can offer a lifetime of exploration.
WHAT TO DO WHEN YOU TRAVEL IN ITALY
The Italiaoutdoors Italy Travel Guide is being written with the active traveler in mind. This guide will continue to grow and be up-dated as we travel around the country. Things will change and sometimes our view point may differ from common guide books. The goal is to give you good planning information so that you can organize a great Italy Adventure. There is no other place that you have the same level of culture, history, nature diversity, plus food and wine is such close proximity.
Have a great time Bike Touring, Rock Climbing, Hiking, Ski, SCUBA Diving, and other Outdoor Recreation Activities while taking time after, to relax and sip an expresso in the historical square. Do not forget the great food and wine to refuel on for the next days activities. Italy offers one of the best travel destinations of varied level of recreation enthusiast and makes a vacation compromise easier, you can be active, tour amazing cities, eat and drink well and still have time to relax and recharge before returning home.
REGIONS OF ITALY
- Exploring the Veneto Region of Italy
- Exploring the Trentino Alto Adige Region of Italy
- Exploring the Friuli Venezia Region, Italy
- Exploring the Emilia Romagna Region, Italy
- Exploring the Aosta Valley Region, Italy
- Exploring the Lombardy Region Italy
- Exploring the Piedmont Region Italy
- Exploring the Liguria Region Italy
- Exploring the Tuscany Region of Italy
- Exploring the Umbria Region Italy
- Exploring The Marches Region Italy
- Exploring the Abruzzo Region Italy
- Exploring the Lazio Region Italy
- Exploring the Sardinia Region Italy
- Exploring the Campania Region Italy
- Exploring the Calabria Region Italy
- Exploring the Puglia Region Italy
- Exploring the Sicily Region Italy
- Exploring the Basilicata Region Italy
- Exploring the Molise Region Italy